Summer Makeup Refresh – 5 Swaps to Make and 3 Items to Add.
*Disclosure: This Post Contains Affiliate Links - As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.*
My intent on sharing these tips is because if, like me, you are super busy during the summer, you probably find yourself mixing up your makeup routine for convenience and your sanity. A little background on my summers…
- We Travel Often: I need a limited number of products to pack and carry all the time.
- We Spend Time At The Pool: I need my makeup to be lightweight and easy enough to redo after a swim.
- We Live in The Desert: It’s hot. It’s dry. It’s sweaty.
Here are 5 easy swaps for your summer makeup bag (along with my favorite products) and 3 items I think you should consider adding to your makeup bag.
1. Blush – We all like the glow and refreshing look that blush gives us, but for Summer, swap out your muted pinks and mauves for a bright apricot or peach. Peach looks good on all skin tones and types and leaves a natural fresh finish on your skin. (Link: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush in Captivating)
2. Mascara – Kind of misnomer; you’re not adding anything to your bag here, you’re just removing it. Instead of mascara that smudges when you sweat or swim, why not try eyelash extensions for the summer? They are worth it, I promise you. They last 2-3 weeks so you can get a couple refills, then stop wearing them and go back to mascara in the Fall if you want.
3. Foundation – No brainer, go with tinted moisturizer with an SPF. Foundation can be heavy and sometimes when it’s hot the last thing you want to do is put on a thick full coverage foundation. Swap it out for tinted moisturizer. Your skin will thank you for it. (Link: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20)
4. Contour – Swap your matte formulas for a shimmer highlight and bronzer. I love to try to master the contour, I have not done it yet and you will not be seeing a makeup tutorial from me. But last summer on vacation, after long days in and out of the water, I didn’t want to spend a ton of time on my makeup and I wanted to show off my tan. In addition to your cheekbones and brow bones, use a shimmer highlighter on your collarbone, and add bronzer to your shoulders. (Links: Cargo HD highlighter and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer)
5. Lipstick – Another no brainer, but summer is not the time for a dark matte plum lip moment (unless you really want to, go ahead). I like to use tinted lip balm (also with SPF) or a light pink or nude lip stain with some gloss. (Link: Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm)
ADD These products:
- Sunscreen – A sprayable makeup setting spray with SPF? Perfect! (Link: Coola Makeup setting spray)
- Facial Spray – Rehydrate your dry skin with a facial spray of mineral water. (Link: Evian Facial Spray)
- Face Wipes – When you need to quickly refresh your look. I like these soothing cucumber ones from Yes To (Link: Yes to Cucumbers Facial Wipes)
Let me know if these swaps are something you’ll try and how they end up working for you. I’d love to hear what you ladies do to refresh your makeup too!